Skip to main content

 

                                       "Elm Wood" Stock farm"

                                          "Callison House"

 

One of the early settlers of this area was Captain Kemp M.Woods,who came to Clay county in 1835. He originally owned some 1200 acres SW of our town.
He built on this farm his first house called "Woodland", the entrance to the property are the stone pillars shown on the picture (below). Unfortunetly the original house burned down, but decendants of Captain Kemp, built a new house in 1892, which is now owned by the Callison family. The house has many memorabelia of the olden days and is beautifully furnished with period furniture and decorations.   

Visitors and new members always welcome . . .

Smithville Historical Society
Smithville, MO  |  64089

Email:  info@smithvillehistoricalsociety.com